Thursday, January 20, 2011

Would the movement to ban perfume, cologne, and candles in public places please commence!

Seriously! Three times in the last week I've had to leave my workout because someone showed up and started working out next to me .. wearing COLOGNE! Please! Do we need to wear cologne to the gym? I just got a text message from my sis, Kim, saying she's outside in the hall of her dermatologists office because they had candles in the waiting room.

I realize the ban isn't coming any time soon. Meanwhile the degree to which I react to chemicals is getting worse and worse. I no longer am able to sit in upholstered furniture. I'm guessing the scotch guard they spray on fabric has something awful in it. When someone walks in the room wearing cologne I have to leave. I can't wear jewelry, so I feel like the plainest Jane ever. And then candles, I just love burning candles. Yes I started making my own, but it would be nice to buy the pretty ones.

Anyway the point of this rant is to ask you all: how do you do it? Does anyone have any suggestions on how they live in our toxic chemical world. Honestly this bit is driving me crazy and I would just love it if we could all collaborate about how to live here.

12 comments:

Woodduck said...

Some deodorant is horrible, as well. I get a headache after very little exposure. YES, I would like to see a ban. Luckily, I'm retired and don't have to suffer in the workplace anymore.
I use/ buy natural/beeswax candles/no perfume added.

Mandy said...

It would be wonderful if there could be a limitation on much cologne one person could put on their body. There are times that I can't even stand being in restaurants due to the smell of the food. As for candles, I use soy and beeswax and choose lighter scents like lavender.

PJ said...

I'm with you! The only true solution is to stay in a controlled environment, which is ridiculous! I can't sit even through a church service without leaving. I do think doctors (including dermatologists) should be held to a higher standard; after all they are medical professionals. Oh & airplanes should have guidelines since you CAN'T get away. I'm as anxious as you are to hear others coping mechanisms - I was contemplating a similar post.

Kim said...

Both my doctor's office and my physical therapy office is fragrance-free. THEY get it at least. I can't tell you how many times my husband and I have had to move tables in a restaurant because someone sat next to us wearing perfume. Oh and let's talk about the time I almost had a panic attack at Baja Fresh because it was next to a nail salon and the fumes were stronger than the smell of food!

Woodduck said...

http://thinkbeforeyoustink.com/LivingwithCS.html

another site w/ helpfull thoughts

Alix said...

I'm agog at the people who still wear the chemical perfumes, etc. Same as second-hand smoke. I have the greatest perfume source - www.ajne.com where I can get high-end smell with no chemicals. They formulate different perfumes for the stars, but I just get mine off the shelf.

E. Ayn said...

it drives me insane. and i hate when there is a policy that isn't enforced, esp with employees.

my gp's office has horrible air circulation in its waiting area. i hate it, i can't breathe. once you get out of the big waiting room and into the back and the patient rooms, the air is great! i always say something but it is dismissed. next time i think i may ask if i can wait in the 'inside' waiting room they have.

also, ppl can't smell the scent on themselves. the scent hasn't worn off, it just has worn off to them.

it can be overwhelming, even to ppl without sensitivity.

thanks.

NC said...

When I was more sensitive to chemicals I would have a mask in my bag for when people came near me with cologne or over powering deodorant. Now that my Lyme Disease is more under control I can cope better with chemicals, so don't use it much any more. I still ask people who are staying in our house not to use perfume, cologne, or hair products that contain fragrance on the day they are coming - most are great about it, but some extended family members stand in our driveway & spray extra perfume all over themselves as they are walking into our house (they haven't been invited back). Best of luck finding the best way to cope with chemical sensitivity.

Susanne said...

Thanks all for these tips! The mask is a great idea ... something I need to have on hand. It truly helps knowing there are others with the same struggle.

I got to thinking that some of you might be interested in posting a comment about what natural means to you on my blog http://www.lavandedebois.blogspot.com/ ... you'll be entered to win a set of three all natural massage bars made with essential oils only. So far I haven't found any essential oils that bother me.

Kim said...

I love the name: Think Before You Stink. HA! What a great resource...THANKS @Woodduck.

Anonymous said...

I have an autistic twin who was having serious reactions to plug in air fresheners in his therapist office, actually there were about 4 of these in this office. Took us a year to figure this out. You may want to check out fire retardants as culprit in furniture and bedding. My child having seizures while asleep in bed ( only seizures while asleep) I began to research the contents of the 2 new full size mattresses, we had to keep the door closed and locked due to his wandering, air intake exhaust in hall outside room. Removed from bedroom and no seizures during sleep as of yet three months later. Forgot to mention the child does not have epilepsy.

Lisa said...

I deal by always carrying a mask with me. I bought mine here: http://www.icanbreathe.com
I have the activated charcoal honeycomb mask. Love it! Also, I find it helps to carry binders with me, like bentonite clay or activated charcoal. That way, if I feel I'm becoming toxic from my environment I can at the very least bind the toxins before they make me feel awful.